Friday, August 14, 2009

Buchanan Family Vacation Part XXI


You see, for as long as I can remember Summer, there's always been the Jersey Shore. This year will mark my 21st summer spent there. Sure you can go to the Carolina's or to Florida, but nothing beats packing up the car and driving only a few hours to your favorite shore destination.
My family's favorite? Ocean City.

It's small, quiet, and clean. Over the passed two decades or so, I've amassed many stories. Sure, I could tell you about all the precious moments my family shared over the years. Instead I'll leave you with a few highlights, specifics, and generalities. Names may have been altered or omitted to protect the identities of the innocent.

1. The time I "ghost rode" my 'Danger-Chaser' bike right off the end of the boardwalk, Age 6.

2. My family steals a ladder off of a work truck to reach the second floor deck because of a lock-out.

3. Sleeping on an air-mattress it seems like every year, although of recent I've been lucky enough to score a twin, usually sharing a room with Uncle Mike.

4. Home-made, mom-made, dinners....can't beat it.

5. Brown's Donuts.

6. One of my relatives decides it's a good idea to go on the tilt-o-whirl. "Said relative", vomits on tilt-o-whirl and it is shut down for the rest of the evening.

7. Being one of the only families on the beach without a beach umbrella, we also happen to be the family that is the most "pigment challenged," as I like to say.

8. Hot Dogs...The only food I ate at the beach until about the age of 12, my Dad used to take me to this one stand right off the beach, they were the best.

9. Go-Karts. No Bumping. No ZigZagging. No Racing. No Passing. No Break Checking. Gas is on the right Brake is on the Left. Nuff' Said.

10. Waiting for the trolley with my grandfather, Pop. MyAge approx 8.

We must have waited what seemed like forever for that damn trolley. I was fascinated by it and Pop would take me and wait with me ever so patiently to see if I could catch a glimpse or hear it's bell. It reminded me of the trolley on Mr. Rodgers. While we were waiting he would tell me stories and whistle oldies...I mean oldiieeeessss. It's funny the things you remember.


Not at the beach.
Not on vacation.
And sure as hell not at the "seashore."

This upcoming week I'll be down the shore.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to tell your boss that you're blogging, when in-fact you should be perfecting the quality of j&j's establishment.

    ReplyDelete