Wednesday, July 14, 2010

So Long Charlie


Well, Charlie Company has finally graduated. It's been a long 29 days but looking back it was worth it. I was provided with an opportunity to train with, assess, and develop the future Officer Corps of the US Army. Together we did everything...rappelling, land navigation, combat water survival training, basic rifle marksmanship and everything in between. The hours were brutal enough but in retrospect, I had the pleasure of being with a great group of ten young men and women from all over the nation who aspire to be future Second Lieutenants. It really provided a bit of a reality check for myself. The gold bar that I wear on my chest every day when I go into work is everything that they aspire to attain. Honestly, sometimes I forget how much hard-work, time, and training I invested into becoming a Second Lieutenant in the US Army, but trust me it was all worth it.There is no greater feeling at the end of the day than that of knowing you are serving a grateful nation and giving back to a country that gave so much to you.

I'm doing well down here and life is good. As most of you all know I like to keep a low profile when it comes to work. Above you will see one of the few pictures the Public Affairs Office (PAO) managed to capture of me instructing cadets on the fundamentals of basic marksmanship. As you can see I am providing cadets with expert knowledge of how to acquire a proper sight picture, well almost expert anyway.

Now I'm moving onto a new job where I will be with the 1-46 Adjutant General, until I depart for Ft. Sill, OK in the fall. At my new position I will be responsible for the flow of new privates entering the United States Army. I'll make sure they get their hair cut, receive the necessary shots, dental and medical evaluations. By the time they leave the 1-46 AG they'll even be able to tell the difference between a Major and a Sergeant Major. It sounds cheesy but I'll be one of the first faces they see when arriving here at Ft. Knox for Basic Combat Training.

Like I stated before, life is good here and contrary to popular belief I am alive and well in Fort Knox despite the blistering heat and unrelenting humidity.

I miss you all and hope to see you all soon, until then keep on keepn' on friends. Chatter on the net indicates that you are all doing fine and well which I am glad to hear. Congratulations to my friends Jeff and Brandon on becoming gainfully employed as official law enforcement officers. I'm sure Mike has been promoted to branch manager by now, and I know for a fact that Jason is rehabilitating 60+ year old men with tennis elbow sprains. Just kidding, but on a serious note I'm proud of all you guys. I talk about you all the time down here, just today someone at the Piggly-Wiggly saw my hat and asked me if I had played Bethpage Black and I had to explain how my college roommate somehow landed a sweet gig as a USGA intern.

Miss you guys and I hope all is well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment